Modified myxfitness Touchscreen to run Ubuntu, Android, GoogleTv Whatever!

The myxfitness (aka Openfit) bike is an exercise bike similar to a Peloton or similar.  It's a well built exercise bike but with an added, large, touchscreen (usually Android) device attached.   This is what makes these bikes "cool" right now.  You can do workouts, and bike rides with others on video for a bit more motivation.   The bike is already expensive, then they charge an additional monthly fee for the touchscreen service.  One thing they do not tell you is that the android touch screen is LOCKED DOWN with MDM (mobile device management)  the same management your company phone may have on it.   So basically if you cancel their monthly service you are stuck with a brick, you can't even listen to music on it if you wanted to.   This to me is BS, I paid good money for the hardware if I want to stop your monthly service I should still be able to use the device for basic, video, music, something for when I work out!





So I went on the hunt, and as suspected, if you are not an android guru, there isn't much you can do with the internal android board.  That said, if you are a guru then there are some things you can do to reload that puppy and put regular unlocked android on it.  I am not one of those gurus.  I am however good with electronics.   😁

So I got started with tearing down the monitor, googled some IC's I came across and tracked down what touch screen and LCD panel they are using.  Also did some reverse engineering on their internal power board, no reason to waste that, after all I paid for it.

I found that the touch screen was actually just a USB 21.5" touch screen over the 21.5" HD LCD.

Long story short (ill add more details to this later) I found this on Amazon:  VSDISPLAY HD-MI Controller Board This kit is almost plug and play with the existing connectors of the myxfitness display.



  This kit also includes the USB cord to make the touchscreen useable if you wish to do that, also contains an amplifier for the internal speakers.  Basically once installed you will have a working touchscreen HD monitor with VGA, DVI, and HDMI inputs to plug in whatever you want.  I started off with a Raspberry Pi 4 running Ubuntu, mainly because I didn't want the touchscreen to go to waste.  But later removed the Pi and installed a GoogleTV with Chromecast.   Now I can use my phone with the FREE exercise apps out there and cast to the bike screen.  I guess you could also install an android device, use the touchscreen and still be able to run apps if you wanted.  

Screenshot in case the link to amazon ever breaks
before I have a chance to fix it


See my test videos below.   Please ignore the messy room, we are remodeling and moving a bunch of junk around 😆   The first video is running Ubuntu, the second GoogleTV.








Ahh, no creating environmental e-waste (not to mention a waste of money) because myxfitness bricked my touchscreen, I can now run whatever I want on my hardware I bought.

Maybe I'll start selling easy conversion Kits, or send me your monitor, I'll convert it for you.  Hopefully the name change to "OpenFit" means they will be true to their name and open access to the hardware we all paid for.









Sorry guys, I really need to post more conversion instructions, This was meant for people that know electronics.  But until I convert my second screen and take more pictures with better instructions see this reddit users conversion!
  https://www.reddit.com/r/MYXFitness/comments/w6e7md/modify_the_myxfitness_screen_to_run_chromecast_or/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3









Comments

AmyK said…

Very impressive.
What kind of skills do you need to be able to emulate your Chromecast solution?

Thanks!
Amy
Kam Marie Bell said…
I would be willing to pay you for this mod. Are you open to the idea?
Unknown said…
Can this be done on the Myx2
Greg said…
Do you have a How To Document or Video?
Annise said…
I just cancelled my membership because they are losing the live trainers and I am willing to pay you for this mod too.
Anonymous said…
Is there a how-to out there that teaches one how to unlock the tablet?
Tonya said…
I bought the stuff. Please post a how to video. My display keeps cutting off so I figured if I replace the guts in it it will work. Please share I need my bike working
Anonymous said…
Kind of annoying for a guy to post this wilth basicly no details,he even posted a video on youtube but no information.I opened the myx tablet to take a look and of course the controller inside the myx tablet is nothing like the link he provided at amazon,and the amazon controller has DVI and Video out port,which means you would need to cut out location for these ports and or leave rear cover off and this guy never even shows rear of the case.

So in my opinion the guy just waste everyone time,since whats the port of posting this with no additional information,what is the guy really doing? Saying "hey look at me,look at what i can do" In the future buddy dont post your videos or youtube and on the web talking something you found a way to do,but decide not to share any details and no need for you to have channels since no ever work watching.
Anonymous said…
https://www.reddit.com/r/MYXFitness/comments/w6e7md/modify_the_myxfitness_screen_to_run_chromecast_or/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
James said…
yea sorry guys, most of these cables are plug and play except the power. I have one more screen to convert maybe I'll do a better job of taking pictures through the whole process.. I'll share the above reddit mode another user posted for now in my main text.
Cassidy Eubanks said…
Hi James! I would be so grateful if you could send me guidance on how to convert the tablet on my myx bike. I’d even be happy to send it to you and pay your fee to convert it. Please 🙏🏼
Really hope you’ll help!!
Please email me if you’re willing to assist
Cassidyeubanks@gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

OpenEVSE ChargePoint EVSE (CT2000) Conversion

Solar Install